A major part of our recruiting effort is career counselling and interview preparation. We will always prepare you fully for any face-to-face interview that we arrange for you. We will tell you who you will meet and what to expect. In short, you will walk into any interview, pre-arranged by Terra Nova Enterprises, feeling well-prepared, knowledgeable about the company, position and project, and most important, confident in what you have to offer the company!
Below is a partial list of tips we offer to prepare you for any interviewing situation:
- Arrive a few minutes early.
- Dress conservatively. A business suit always works well, unless advised otherwise.
- Firm handshake
- Keep laptop or briefcase on the floor by your chair, not on the interviewer's desk.
- Make eye contact!
- Smile and laugh, when appropriate - show your human side.
- Never bad-mouth past or present employers.
- Always answer questions fully - no "yes" or "no" answers, but don't volunteer unasked for information.
- Let the interviewer run the interview. Don't take charge.
- Address the interviewer by name.
- Please keep you cell phone turned OFF.
- Please do not take or make calls, even when left in a room alone, between interviewers.
- When asked about salary, do not commit to an amount. An answer such as, "I will certainly consider any fair and reasonable offer that is extended to me" works well.
- Always be prepared with questions - this shows you are interested in the company. We will suggest some standard questions to have in mind.
- Do not judge a job or company while in the middle of an interview. A position that may not look interesting to you while you're interviewing, may seem a lot more attractive after you've had time to digest all the information that has been presented to you.
- Communicate that you're a team player.
- Demonstrate interest, prior to leaving. A good exit question might be, "When are you prepared to make a decision, or is there another step in the interviewing process?"
- Good idea to send a thank-you note after the interview.